This week’s debate topic is gun control in countries around the world. To prepare for a class on this topic, have a look at the post below, and it might also be a good idea to research the laws and restrictions that exist in the country where you teach.
As with all of my debates, students should be encouraged to speak their mind about a topic and contribute to the discourse. They should use vocabulary that’s relevant to the topic, which I list at the bottom. If they are given a point of view to talk about which doesn’t reflect how they feel, it is often beneficial for them to be the ‘devil’s advocate’ and try to win the debate anyway.
Here are both sides of the argument and the points for and against, use these as guides for the students and encourage them to come up with their own.
Guns should be restricted to law enforcement only
- Firearms should be a last resort only, for use in law enforcement.
- Countries with less restrictive gun control policies often have higher mortality rates related to gun crime.
- Without proper training, handling firearms can be highly dangerous and often cause unintentional injuries and even death.
- Regulating guns can be difficult, making it almost impossible for police to control the sale of firearms.
Citizens should be allowed to carry guns for protection
- The high crime rate in many countries around the world means that la enforcement is stretched and people to take action for themselves.
- Farmers and other primary industry workers use guns for animal control.
- Many restrictions and license requirements exist for gun owners, which can be tightened if the public wishes.
- Ammunition, Ammo
- Crime Scene
- To fire
- Gun Crime
- Firearm Permit / License
- To load
- Gun laws
- Trigger Happy
- Self Defence
Anything to add? Let me know in the comments below!
3 thoughts on “EFL Debate Topic – Gun Control”
Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your site unintentionally,
and I’m surprised why this coincidence didn’t came about earlier!
I bookmarked it.
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.
I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
I’ll definitely comeback.
Hi there, I read your blog like every week. Your writing
style is witty, keep up the good work!