I have been tinkering around with a comprehensive list of speaking phrases for ages. Here’s what I have so far for a B1 level student, along with the printer friendly version!
PET Speaking Expressions – Handy PDF!
Starting The Conversation
- Shall I start?
- Would you like to start?
- Would you mind if I start?
- How about I start?
- What do you think about..?
- What is your opinion on..?
- How about..?
- What about..?
- I think..
- In my opinion..
- I reckon..
- The way I see it..
- From my point of view
- For me personally..
Agreeing / Disagreeing
- I agree / disagree
- I see where you’re coming from….(but..)
- I understand what you mean….(but..)
- Well, actually..
- I couldn’t agree more..
- I totally agree / disagree
- I think you’re right / wrong there..
Prepositions For Part 3
- On / In / At
- On top of
- Next to
- In front of
- Near to
- Close to
Don’t forget to describe the location of objects, if possible in the time allowed!
Easy To Use Expressions For Part 4
(and maybe part 1)
- Once in a blue moon; (I only go swimming once in a blue moon)
- Keen on; (I’m really keen on boxing)
- Piece of cake; (I find learning English a piece of cake!)
- My cup of tea; (Football isn’t really my cup of tea)
- Between jobs; (I have finished university and right now I’m between jobs)
- There’s a frog in my throat
- A good egg; (My brother and I get on well, he’s a good egg)
- To drive one up the wall; (Bad weather drives me up the wall!)
- Can’t Bear / Stand; (I really can’t stand basketball!)
- To be fed up with; (I am really fed up of this rain!)
Getting Out Of A Jam
- Sorry, I meant..
- I wanted to say..
- I don’t know the word, but it’s a type / kind of..
- The word escapes me, but..